Virginia SR22 Insurance
Table of Contents
SR22 Insurance in Virginia
An SR22 Insurance in Virginia serves as a certificate of responsibility proving that drivers who have committed certain violations carry the SR22 minimum insurance limits required by the state which are as follows:
- Bodily injury/death of one person $25,000
- Bodily injury/death of two or more persons $50,000
- Property damage $20,000
Regardless if you own the vehicle or not, if you are proven to be a high risk driver, then an SR22 should be in place to be able to reinstate your license and driving privileges.
SR22 rates in Virginia are more or less the same as the rates of other states. It is not cheaper nor more expensive. Some of the reasons why a driver may need this certificate would include the following:
- Unsatisfied judgements
- Uninsured motor vehicle suspension
- Failure to provide proof of insurance associated with insurance monitoring
- Falsifying insurance certification
- Driver license suspension as a result of a conviction for:
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Perjury, making a false affidavit to DMV regarding the registration of motor vehicles, or making a false statement on any driver’s license application.
- Any crime punishable as a felony under the motor vehicle law or any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used.
- Failure of a driver of a motor vehicle, involved in an accident resulting in death or injury to another person, to stop and disclose his identity at the scene of the accident.
- Operating or permitting the operation, for a second time, of a passenger automobile for transportation of passengers for rent or for hire, without a license.
No matter what the reason for needing an SR22, you are required to maintain the filing for 3-years. If at any time during the 3-year required filing period that there is a lapse in your SR22, your provider is obligated to inform the Virginia DMV of your lapse in coverage.
If this happens the D.M.V. will send you a “Notice of Suspension” letter telling you that your Virginia driver’s license has been suspended and in order to reinstate your driver’s license you will need to bring your insurance policy current and have your insurance provider file another SR22 bond with the Department of Motor Vehicles. You will also be required to pay an additional driver’s license reinstatement fee to the D.M.V.
The property damage will provide coverage for the driver and
whomever is driving the vehicle in the case of an accident.
If you or a family member are driving and involved in a accident the insurance company will pay for damages occurred from the accident up to $25,000. If there is damages above and beyond that you will be responsible for the remaining money owed.
Regardless of your driving history, we’re here to help. Ready to get started? Sit back, relax,
and discover an easier way to get the coverage you need.
Important Things about SR22 Insurance in Virginia
In order to get an SR22 certificate, you will have to work closely with your insurance agent. The form can only be submitted by your insurance company on your behalf, and they will do it only when you pay them the specified fees.
Different states have different rules, and you need to check them at the time of applying for SR22 insurance car Virginia. For instance, in case your Virginia suspension asks for an SR22 filing, you will have to do it even if you actually live in a different state but have moved to Virginia. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the bond can only be filed by an insurance company licensed to offer its services in Virginia.
What it also means is that you should get your policy from a reputable insurance provider with a presence in several states, as this will help in case you originally purchased your car insurance policy in another state and want to file for an SR22 certificate in Virginia.
While price and efficiency are important when it comes to selecting a qualified carrier, the most important thing is to be safe and courteous when you are behind the wheel. While some may look at an SR22 as a burden or label, in the end you were in the wrong to have to get the insurance. Always keep other drivers in mind as far as safety goes.
Virginia SR22 Insurance Page Updated 7/20/2020
We operate in all 50 states. No matter where you live, we can help you find great SR22 insurance.