Iowa SR22 Insurance
Iowa SR22 Insurance
SR22 Insurance in Iowa
Having to comply with an SR22 Insurance is enough to pose fear into drivers within the states of Iowa and other states for that matter. Some people would speculate that this insurance add-on will hurt their pockets and may have other possibilities that will inhibit them from driving again. However, knowing the facts is vital in order to educate yourself as to how, what, when and who needs an SR22.
What is an SR-22?
An SR-22 is not actually insurance, but rather a document that shows proof of financial responsibility and verification of auto liability coverage for risky drivers. The DMV may require you to provide an SR-22 in addition to your car insurance if you drive under the influence (dui) of a drug or alcohol, drive without proper insurance, are a habitual traffic offender, or are involved in a motor vehicle accident.
It is also a way to verify insurance with the minimum liability coverage limits for drivers who have been ordered to obtain this by a judge.
How to Get an SR22 certificate in Iowa?
- Find an insurer. Ask your insurer if it issues SR-22s in the state of Iowa. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to find a car insurance company that does.
- Pay the SR-22 fee. Your insurer will charge you a processing fee for filing the SR-22 on your behalf.
- Verify minimum liability coverage. Iowa’s minimum insurance requirements are:
- $25,000 for the injury or death of one person (yourself, a passenger, another driver, pedestrian, etc.)
- $40,000 for the total damages caused by a single accident
- $15,000 for property damage
- Submit your SR-22. Your insurance agent will file your SR-22 with the Iowa’s DOT Office of Driver Services.
- Wait for confirmation. You’ll receive a letter from your insurer and the state of Iowa that your SR-22 is accepted.
The property damage will provide coverage for the driver and
whomever is driving the vehicle in the case of an accident.
If you or a family member are driving and involved in a accident the insurance company will pay for damages occurred from the accident up to $25,000. If there is damages above and beyond that you will be responsible for the remaining money owed.
Regardless of your driving history, we’re here to help. Ready to get started? Sit back, relax,
and discover an easier way to get the coverage you need.
How long will I need an SR-22 for in Iowa?
In Iowa, you usually need to keep SR-22 for two years once your license is reinstated. However, this requirement may be adjusted depending on individual circumstances. The DOT typically sends out letters when drivers are eligible to have their licenses reinstated, detailing the requirements for getting their driving privileges back. Alternatively, drivers can contact the Office of Driver Services directly to inquire how long this requirement is needed.
Iowa SR22 Insurance Page Updated 7/20/2020 We operate in all 50 states. No matter where you live, we can help you find great SR22 insurance.
Comments are closed.